Marat Safin retires from tennis in paris 2009

Monday, October 27, 2008

Marat Safin announces Retiring from tennis!

Marat Safin, one of the most colorful figures in tennis, said on Monday he was considering his future in the game after his first round loss at the Paris Masters Series.

Marat Safin has confirmed he is considering retiring from tennis after his season ended in the first round of the Paris Masters.

Former world number one Safin stumbled out of the final Masters Series event when he lost 6-0 7-6 (7-4) against Argentine qualifier Juan Monaco in the first round on Monday.

And the 28-year-old Russian told reporters he needs to think over his future in the sport after criticising the lack of time off available to players.

"I need to enjoy my life without tennis, I will see if I continue," Safin said.

"I need to think it through. I will see, it was too intense these last three years. We will see. I have no pressure, nothing to show, nothing to prove.

"If I feel like I want to continue to play I will - if not it will be over."

The Russian, who won the Paris indoor tournament three times, picked up his game too late to unsettle Monaco, who will next meet French 16th seed Gael Monfils.

Safin lost the first eight games and notably served four double faults in a single game as Monaco was cantering through the match.

The former U.S. and Australian Open champion got himself together when 2-0 down in the second set, and double faults turned into aces.

Safin broke back for 2-2 and both players then held serve until the tiebreak, which Monaco took 7-4 when Safin sent a forehand long.

"I had my opportunities but unfortunately it was a bit too late already because the guy started to play well and started to feel much more comfortable on the court," said Safin.

"I just don't know what happened. I just couldn't find my rhythm. I didn't take my chances," the two-time Grand Slam winner added.

"I didn't take my chances, that's why the score is 6-0 7-6."

Safin will not improve his position in the rankings and it is no secret he does not feel comfortable with the situation.

"It's a little bit uncomfortable to find yourself in the top 10 for many years and (then) to find yourself ranked 70th and 30 and 50 and outside of the hundreds," he said.

"It's not really a comfortable position.

"I've been struggling throughout my career with injuries, left and right," he added, referring to knee injuries that hampered his 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Although he does not yet know whether he will play professional tennis next year, Safin already knows where he will spend his holidays.

"Yeah, I'm already flying to Miami," he said.

No comments: