Marat Safin retires from tennis in paris 2009

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Marat Safin's prefinal press conference



After the unexpected withdrawal of Misha Zverev, Marat Safin said he’s glad that he could save up energy before the finals and wished Misha success in the future.

- Marat, is it better for you or not?
- Of course, it’s better. I can save up my energy. I’d rather not play.
- When did you find out that the match is canceled?
- About three hours ago. But I didn’t relax immediately after this news. Throughout my career there were cases when my opponents were to retire but then they announced they would play and I was no longer ready for it. As a rule, I lost in such cases.
- Yesterday Nikolay Davydenko said that such a late start of the match bothered him. What about you?
- No, not really. I wasn’t falling asleep on the court.
- Who of the remaining two semifinalists would you like to play in the finals?
- If a player reached the finals he’s in a good shape. So, it makes no difference for me. We have a long history with Santoro, while Kunitsyn is playing good tennis now. So, it will be difficult anyway.
- Did you watch Dinara’s match? Why do you think she lost?
- She’s been playing better than anyone for 5 months. It’s been a long year. So she is tired.
- Yesterday Davydenko said that you are play “in waves”, sometimes losing concentration.
- How did you manage to stay focused yesterday?
- When you play a top 10 player, you need to stay focused all match long. Because they play very good consistent tennis all year long. Yesterday I realized that I have to be aggressive and attack a lot. It was useless to rally with him from the base line.
- What about today’s soccer match Russia vs Germany? Are you going to watch it?
- Sure! I will root for our team.
- How will you spend your free time tonight? Are you planning to have a good sleep on the eve the finals?
- It is 5.15 AM now, I got up at 12.00 AM today, so it’s a long way before I go to bed. I have stuff to keep me busy.

No comments: